Reading and Writing Workshop
At St. Mark, we use the Reader's and Writer's Workshop model. General class structure is based on the "Predictable 5-part Workshop Framework" which can be found on the Lucy Calkins & TCRWP Colleagues Units of Study website:
"Reading and writing workshops are deliberately designed to offer a simple and predictable environment so that the teacher can focus on the complex work of observing students' progress and teaching into their needs.
- Each session begins with a mini-lesson. Kids sit with a long-term partner while in the mini-lesson.
- The mini-lesson ends with the kids being sent off to their own independent work.
- As students work, the teacher confers with them and leads small groups.
- Partway through independent work time, the teacher stands and delivers a mid-workshop teaching point.
- The workshop ends with a share."